COM port higher than 16
Having issues with the Hardware Utility seeing your Light-O-Rama controllers? It might be that the COM port assigned by your computer is higher than 17. Com ports higher than 17 are not supported by the Hardware Utility. You will need to change the port number to a lower value.
The process to change the com port has a number of steps but it is pretty straight forward. There may be slight differences depending on the version of the Windows Operating System that you have (XP, Vista, etc… ) but it very similar.
Stop ALL LOR programs and make sure that the LOR USB device is plugged into the PC.
1. Click the Windows Start button.
2. Right Click “My Computer” and select “Properties”
3. Click Hardware if you see a hardware tab
4. Click Device Manager
5. Expand Ports (COM & LPT)
6. Double Click the Com Port that you want to change.
7. Click Port Settings then Click “Advanced”
8. On the “Advanced” page you will see the COM Port Number. Select a value less than COM17
If all COM ports seem to be in use then pick COM16.
Click OK , OK …. To get out of the Device Manager.
You might need to reboot your PC for these changes to take effect.